Sunday, January 18, 2015

All's Right With the World



A couple of days before Christmas I was sitting at Panera Bread in Fayetteville, at one of the tables where I usually sit, and working on my crossword puzzle. One of the regulars, a lady who I have been acquainted with for several years and whose name has somehow slipped away, came up to me and said, “It’s so nice seeing you sitting here working on your puzzle. It just makes me feel that all is right with the world.” I said, “Thank you,” and she went on her way.Well. . .I was very pleased by her saying this, but I didn’t know why she would have said it. I couldn’t figure just why I, sitting at my table, would have had such a calming effect on this very nice lady. I thought about it a bit, but nothing came to me, so I put it aside, figuring that I could write about it later and give it some thought, then.It’s taken me about ten days to come to the time to write. I’m still not sure why she said what she said. Maybe, I have a calming effect on people, sort of a human sedative action. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I remember one time back when I was teaching when I met the mother of one of my students in the counseling center. She and her family, a family I knew well, were going through a health-related difficulty at the time, which eventually resolved itself. I talked with her for a moment, wished her well, and went on to do what I was there to do. The next day I was told, by whom I can’t remember, that the mother said that after talking to Mr. Ellstrom, she felt like “everything would work out all right.” Hearing that I had that effect felt special and good. But I wondered why.Maybe it comes down to the fact that people like to feel they are living a life in which they can count on things to be as they expect them to be, that there is comfort in the presence of the anticipated. I am an anticipated person for the regulars at Panera Bread in the morning. Is there comfort in the regularity of me being there? I don’t know. I was a fixture at the high school for a heck of a long time. Maybe my length of service and even disposition (?) could have been comforting. I don’t know again.For whatever reason she said it, the lady’s comment has given an idea for not one but two Panera blogs. I think next I will right a paean to the regulars, those daily denizens of Panera Bread at Towne Centre, whose presences can be anticipated.




No comments:

Post a Comment