Sunday, January 18, 2015

Getting Started



I was a little late to arrive at Panera today. I had an ENT appointment, one of those medical mornings, which seem to happen more often as you get older. I sat and began to read USA TODAY, when my people-watching eyes were drawn to one of the tiny people. A little girl, about 2, I imagine, was there with her mom and grandparents. She was thrilled to be there! She had on her princess skirt and her big girl boots. Almost immediately, she started dancing to a tune that no one else could hear. Then she bounced along with her Grandma to get in line for goodies. A moment later she came bouncing back with a menu for her mom, which her mom accepted pleasantly, although, she clearly didn't need it. This little one alone would have made people watching fun, but then entered a mom and dad with their toddler. Probably 8 or 9 months old, she was as delighted with life and with Panera as the other little customer. Seated in a high chair, her tiny head covered with thick dark hair, she checked out the place. Then she started to check her own hands, wiggling her fingers, and smiling happily at what they were able to do. She looked around and smiled at me. We waved at each other. It also was great observing the joy and pride the young parents had in their miracle, her mom asking her if "she could say, 'Hi'" as well as wave. Then another nice thing happened. the eyes of the two little ones met. Anyone could see that each was intrigued with the other, prompted probably by their shared smallness and newness. The bigger little one thought a couple of times about going across to the table to visit but couldn't quite summon the courage. And the little little one was fascinated just watching this bigger version of a kid. I went back to my paper, wondering if they would meet. They hadn't by the time I left. I hope they eventually did.

No comments:

Post a Comment